Thursday, July 8, 2010

Unrelated and not particularly expertly taken pixes of Zuerich



Left: This is the intersection of Uraniastrasse and Bahnhofstrasse, which is more or less the beating heart of Z's downtown biz district. Near here is the horribly overpriced English-language bookstore, Orem Fuessli, where I have indulged my compulsive need for reading material despite the almost comically inflated prices (although: went in to a Starbucks today thinking about a green tea and left when I saw prices hovering around 7-9SFR for standard coffee beverages--no way in hell am I paying that).



Right: Apparently skateboarding is a crime in Zuerich as well. I've seen no skateboarders at all, and since I am now at least relatively familiar with inductive reasoning, I know that I cannot know whether this is due to the activity's lack of enthusiasm in Switzerland, or the efficacy of these signs.



Left: The walk from the Seilbahn Rigiblick toward the good old Villa Hatt has to be one of the best parts of my day. Here's why: there is a gorgeous little park with insane views of the city all along the right. Frail old people and relatively unthreatening teenagers alike flock here--though not in huge numbers--to sit and watch for hours at a time.



Right: "Abfahrt" means departure, as in "the Seilbahn is going to depart in three minutes." But it always makes me titter, and I'll let you guess why.






Left: The views from the deck behind the ETH are simply insane. If it weren't a million baking degrees out there, I'd have sat outside and worked there all the time rather than in my office. But alas, it was always a struggle: after ogling the views for 15minutes, I'd feel heat stroke coming on and need to go back into the cool cool confines of ETH's cavernous inner spaces.